If you like limes, you’ll love this. Before anyone shouts at me for not using Key Limes, thus, this not being a real Key Lime Pie, I’m sorry, I couldn’t find any! If anyone knows where they sell them, I’d love to know.
1 tin of condensed milk – 397g
300g Hob Nobs
3 medium egg yolks
150g melted butter
juice and zest of 4 limes
extra lime zest for decoration
22cm loose-based tart tin
food processor (optional) or
sandwich bag and rolling-pin
Step by Step…
- Pre-heat the oven to 160C / 140C fan.
- Now, here comes the fun part… biscuit crushing! You can either quickly use a food processor (yawn) – or you can whack the Hob Nob biscuits in a plastic sandwich bag and beat with a rolling-pin. I prefer this method as it’s more fun, but yes, the food processor will crumb the biscuits quickly!
- Tip your biscuit crumbs into a bowl and pour in the melted butter. Mix well. Press the biscuit mixture into and up the sides of your loose tart tin. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Whilst your pie base is cooling, whisk the egg yolks with the electric beater for a minute. Pour in the condensed milk (try not let a spoon of it stray into your mouth) and whisk for 3 minutes. Add the lime zest and juice and whisk again for 3 minutes.
- Pour the filling into your cooled base and bake in the oven for 15 minutes. When you have five minutes left, sprinkle your extra lime zest onto the top.
Below is a picture of the finished slice – sorry it’s not a perfect cut, I was too desperate to start eating it! – Colleen